Friday, July 12, 2013

Week 2 Blog Post


This week we continued our reading of Drucker on Marketing by William A. Cohen. This book is perhaps one the best academic required books I have read outside of an English class. This book is good so far I really wish our department, that is a marketing department, would read it and learn from it. Everyone would really benefit this book, and it certainty has more to offer than the book we had to read last summer about humans and how we need to embrace our inner animal instincts… it was as bad as it sounds.

                So why am I slightly cult-ishy in love with this book so far when it has only been five chapters. Well besides all the “Oh my God this is my Life” moments that this book produced last week and this week, there is also this amazing list that was composed this week on the principles of leaders. The list is on page 41 and the list is

1.       Maintain absolute integrity

2.       Know your stuff

3.       Declare your expectations

4.       Show uncommon commitment

5.       Expect positive results

6.       Take care of your people

7.       Put duty before self

8.       Get out in front

The one principle that a leader can absolutely NOT violate is that of integrity. This I absolutely agree with. I can look at this list and think of leaders who I have admired and although some may have been missing a few of these principles, but they all had integrity. So then I decided to think about a list of leaders who have been for the lack of a better term “bad” leaders, and they all seemed to violate at least two principles and the principle that was violated in all of them was that of integrity. I even thought about leaders that I had admired and eventually ended up considering them less than satisfactory and the moment they made the switch in my book was when they no longer maintained integrity. My current “big boss” is good academic example of this list. This leader was someone that many of us would of followed without hesitation or questioning. However, over time this leader has violated these principles, and each time one is violated faith and willingness is lost. The leader does not put themselves on the front line. This honestly is okay in my opinion because I very much doubt they would be able to handle it, but other people in the department find this annoying. However, the principles that been violated that I take issues with is that they do not take care of their own people, does not expect positive results, does not know their stuff when it comes to events, has a hard time declaring expectations, and has violated their integrity. We have all take our turn being under the bus because our bigger boss needs someone to take the fall other than themselves, or stand up for us. Also, as of recently it seems that our leader has the impression that we are not good at our job which is frustrating as their recommendations are exactly what we are doing. Our leader has also recently lost their integrity as there are several moments where we feel they are lying to us. The lies themselves do not even hurt as much as it is the idea we are not worthy of the truth. It has created a sense of distrust among some of us. Luckily, though our middle manager has most of these principles so the blow is lessened, and we still have someone who we can proudly stand behind and follow.

Something else we discussed this week was the marketing planning process. The steps in the marketing planning process are:

1.       Collect data

2.       Analyze Data

3.       Develop objectives, strategies, programs

4.       Develop financial documents

5.       Negotiate final plan

6.       Measure progress toward objectives

7.       Audit

The company that I work for, we see this marketing planning process with our main product that our company puts out. In fact one of the pressures on my department is to make up for the money and resources that have been lost because our main product was not able to reach its objectives. Then the pressure is on for us to bring in more revenue. However, with our product the only objectives that have been communicated are that of increasing customer service, and charging everyone. However, there has been zero quantifiable objectives that have been expressed so it is hard for us to measure progress. We do have a new program to help us bring in more revenue. However, it has produced little results and many of us on the front line question if the new program is a good fit for our department as it seems the program is meant for a larger business with more resources in our industry than our company has or will even have for the foreseeable future. Which is a shame as it is a great program that we wish we could utilize. Also, the only final plan that seems to have been communicated to us is to charge everyone. I will say that we do have an audit on every department every year. However, that appears to be to make sure we are following policies verse that measuring our success against objectives that were set. So it appears with my company that it seems to focus on the marketing planning process with its main product but not with its other products.

So the last thing I will talk about is that of the program we have for our marketing class. It runs simulations of marketing decisions that we make so we could see what the possible results could be. So it helps bridge that gap of book and real life practice that academic classes need. After all, theory is only so good until you get out there and practice. Our assignment this week was to login and play around with it a little bit and sees what would happen. So I logged on and was trying to figure out to play around with it, and the numbers. I could not figure it out. The only thing that I could click on the page was a big “Enter Decision” button. Which of course I did not want to hit, I wanted to edit and not enter my decision that I had not made. After a while I hit the button in a throw my hands up in the air moment, and boom suddenly I could edit. So I played around a bit of the numbers on the sales force page. I found I could change all the numbers and after I hit submit be able to see how those decisions related to my budget and the amount of money I had left. This was pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment